Let's move onto the next period of History. Remember we have talked about Prehistory, Pre-Roman times, and the Roman Empire in the Iberian Peninsula. Now we will learn about the MIDDLE AGES, and today we will start when the Germanic Tribes conquered Hispania and defeat the Roman Empire.
This video will explain you what happened in the Iberian Peninsula during the MIDDLE AGES.
THE VISIGOTHS INVASION.
If you have a look and think about this map. With a partner try to explain the Visigoth invasion, where did they come from? What parts of the Iberian Peninsula did they conquer first? Who were in the Peninsula before them?
- The Vandals, Alans and Suevi were tribes from Northern Europe. They invaded Hispania in 409 A.D.
- To fight against them Romans needed the help of Visigoths, another Germanic Tribe.
- They expelled Vandals and Alans and Visigoths established their own kingdom in The península.
THE VISIGOTHIC KINGDOM.
- The Peninsula was controlled by the Visigoths and the Suevi (They were in the north-west).
- The Visigothic Kingdom was ruled by a King.
- Leovigild was one of the most important kings. He made Toledo the capital of the Kindom and conquered the Suevi.
- The Visigothic Kingdom lasted until 711 A.D. when Roderic was defeated by the Muslims.
- Visigothic unified their new kingdom by changing their own language, religion and lasw.
- They became Christians and based their laws on Roman laws.
- They built small stone Churches.
- They made jewellery with gold, silver and precious stones.
LET'S PLAY WITH THIS CROSSWORD
REVIEW WHAT YOU'VE LEARNT.