We will continue learning about how things happened in the Iberian Peninsula during the Middle Ages. Remember first were the Visigoths then the peninsula was invaded by the Muslims, and now we are going to learn how the Christians reconquested The Iberian Peninsula.
This video will show you how everything took place.
THE CHRISTIAN KINGDOMS.
- The long period of expansion of the Christian kingdoms started only eleven years after the Muslins invasion. It is called RECONQUEST.
- By around 1230, there were FOUR LARGE KINGDOMS:
- KINGDOM OF PORTUGAL, it was independent from Leon.
- KINGDOM OF NAVARRE, Navarra and La Rioja.
- CROWN OF ARAGON: Catalonia Counties, Kingdom of Aragon, Valencia and Majorca.
- CROWN OF CASTILE: Includes the Kind of of Castille and the Kindom of Leon. Later it included Al Anlandalus.
- In 1479, Isabella I of Castille married Ferdinand II of Aragon, and the Crown of Aragon and the Crown of Castile were united.
There were three groups of people:
- NOBLES: they were rich and they were the owners of the land.
- CLERGY: They were monks, bishops and priests.
- PEASANTS: It was the biggest group, they cultivated the land.
- In the 12th Century were founded the first universities. The first one was the University of Palencia.
- In the early Middle Ages, churches were built in Romanesque Style: thick walls and small windows.
- After the 13th Century, palaces and cathedrals were built in Gothic Style. They had pinted arches and large stained-glass windows.
LET'S DO THE QUIZZ AND REVIEW ALL YOU HAVE LEARNT.